Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Walajabad Leprosy Colony

This past Friday I went out to Walajabad town that has a small area for those that are afflicted with leprocy. This was a very small area that held a few houses, children, goats, a pig and some very greatness people. 

When we get to a colony we first have to set up the area with bandage removal, washing, oiling and ulser removal stations.  We also had blood pressure and eye drop stations set up as well.  We unload the vans in the treatment areas and prepare for the patients we will be seeing for the next 2 hours. 


Here I am collecting the clean water for the washing stations. The nurses with us always freak out when I try and cary something that weighs more than 2 pounds.  I think they are so use to people that have a limb missing like me are in pain.  I get asked in I pain all the time and the answer is always no.  I want these people to see me work and see me do things they might not think possible. 


Anandan our driver loves my camera.  So sometimes I let him take it around and he always seems to get a picture of me even if I try and dodge him. 


This is one of the little ones in the village that we got to play with at the end of our duties.  So cute!  

On the way home we passed a sugar cane factory and Anandan wanted us to have some so he pulled off the road, jumped the ditch and asked one of the drivers inside the fence for some.  He came back with 5 for us and we all shared.  He told us not to hurt our teeth. He's always looking out for us. 


Then we took a short cut home and Anan wanted to take us to see a Emo Chicken.  We were all really confused at what a Emo Chicken was.  All we got was that it was a really BIG chicken.  So I was thinking maybe its like the biggest chicken in India like the biggest ball of yarn in the US.  Or it could be a really depressed chicken that wears eye liner and black clothes....  really it could have been anything.  So we turned down this side road out in the middle of no where and we see these fenses... and Emu inside the fences.  Emo Chickens are Emus!  Got it!  


We spent some time at the farm watching the birds try and peck at us through the fense.  They liked all the cameras.  



After the emo chicken adventure we went to the junction before going back to campus to get Anandan some ice cream for his birthday.  


This is a usual scene in the streets of India, you should probably come and see for yourself.  Just saying its awesome here...





No comments:

Post a Comment