Sunday, June 17, 2012

Barathapuram

I've debated a little about writing this post.  I'm not sure if what I say will make any sense to people out there reading this but I had such an amazing experience that I feel that I need to share. 

I went with the Medical Team today to a colony called Barathapuram to aid in the treatment of leprosy afflicted patients.  This was my first colony that I went to as most of my job and time here is spent at the school. I was a little nervous to go out there as my arm had had some mixed reviews here in India.  Nothing too bad of course but its just something that's different.  People want to protect me here and are constantly thinking that I can't do something or that I need help and if you know me, you know that this is rarely the case and can be somewhat frustrating for me.  I left in the morning to film and I was preparing myself for a variety of reactions.


When we pulled into town we all piled out of the car and unloaded the stools, buckets, medicine and other equipment and set up stations for patients.  First station is where the patient picks up their file and has their blood pressure taken and glucose test.  Then they are seen by the Dr. and examined.  



When they are ready they move over to the washing stations where their bandages are removed, ulcers are washed, oiled and if needed removed.




This lovely man was one of the first to arrive and the first to talk with me.  I was floating around taking pictures and video of the colony and came back to the treatment area to meet his smiling face.  He spoke very little English but I asked him what his name was and if he would like to take a picture with me.


He graciously and enthusiastically said he would love to.  That broke the ice.  I soon had people asking for pictures and touching Rudy and thanking me for being there. 




One of the statements that really made an impression on me with this organization is that these beautiful and kind people are considered to be untouchable because of a disease that can rob them of their jobs, family, friends, home, eyesight, feeling, extremities and often self respect.  Untouchable  was such a touching and powerful word that hit a chord with me as I have often felt this to a degree in my life.  How could I not want to help others that have felt this feeling at such a deeper level than I?  
These people are made to think that they are low, unimportant and don't have the options of a healthy "normal" life.  I on the other hand was born with with a congenital amputation of the right arm was given every opportunity to develop by a loving and caring family. I was encouraged to be whatever I wanted.  Limitations were never put on me so I never knew they existed.   However, even with the stable background I have experienced a type of "untouchable" mentality where people are afraid of me or confused at how I could be born healthy with a missing forearm and hand.  How would I be able to function in society? 

The longer I was there and the more people that I met the more I knew that they were doing more service for me that I could ever do for them.   Every "God Bless You" that was said to me was sincerely returned because deep down I thought I would be rejected instead of  being embraced as I was.  

I don't think I can express with words what that trip to Barathapuram did for me.  I hope in the remaining 5 months that I am here- I can do as much for them as they did for me in a few hours.  I hope they can see their endless potential, their capability to be and do anything and to know what they are amazing in every way. 

A simple loving and sincere touch can do more for the human spirit than money and words combined.  That was their gift and lesson to me.


Here are some pictures of their beautiful and thriving colony:


Women making necklaces to sell with Pearls for Hope.


I wish I was able to take some pictures of the art studio that they have.  Their paintings are beautiful and each one is being made by a student with leprosy.  They are taught step by step how to create their works of art.  Many are painting with little to no fingers or very little eyesight. One little art studio in a small colony in India has made such an impact to improve self image, worth and quality of life for so many.  This is the way of many of these small businesses in these colonies and why they are so important.

 I was personally asked to return and attend a class with one of the students so I could watch him paint. 
I hope that I can.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Callie, I love you! I started crying as I read your post. What a sweet experience. You are all benefitting from each other.
    I cannot believe you have been there a month!!! I love hearing stories of your experiences. I miss you, but am so happy you are there. :)

    ReplyDelete