Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Avane nallaa padikkumbadi sonneen.

Avane nallaa padikkumbadi sonneen means - I told him to study well.
 Why would I use this phrase today?
I am glad you asked...

When school started we saw a need for assistants and tutors in the computer labs for their Math practice.  So I started going every Monday/Wednesday/ Friday to help Nagaraj with all his students.  To say my first few times were a disaster is an understatement!  But I started to get to know the program and learn what it was asking these students to do.  

Yesterday the Educational Director Celina asked me to run a math lesson period for one of the grades before they went in for their math computer time.  I found this out about 20 seconds before I went in for my first class.  I walked in and all the kids stood by the side of their desks and said, "Good afternoon Callie Ma'am" and they raised their hands in salute.  I stood there in shock or I guess more terror.  What on earth can I teach these kids?

So I started my lesson that I was making up on the fly.  I then noticed the class had not sat down but were still standing at attention at the sides of their desk.  I asked them to please sit and we started to go over fractions and decimals.  Mr. Wong would have been so proud!  (OK he probably would have thrown the overhead projector out of the window again while listening to We Built this City)  We talked about number lines and locating what number is bigger or smaller than others.  For my first lesson I just made up in my head I think it went pretty well.  That section of the room had less questions than the others in the computer lab when we finally made it in there, so I felt pretty good about that.  Tomorrow I hope to have something a little more planned but I was proud that I survived!

Be prepared for anything in India!


No comments:

Post a Comment