Sunday, July 1, 2012

Pombu

Today we went into Chennai for three things 
1. Snake (Pombu) Park
2. Shopping for Sarees 
3. Sparky's Diner

First we got the worst over with and that was the snake park.  Dr. Susan said we should go there to see it so we did.  We paid 10 rupees to get in and we were immediatly met with some poisonous snakes of India.  It was freaky when you would be looking at one and then there would be another that you never saw start to move in a tree.  I know that I have been walking around more than just the one I have seen...  scary thoughts.
At the snake park  they have other things like crocs and lizards and some turtles.  The best part of the visit was the turtles.  Not only were they super cute and totally not poisonous but there was one that was trying to crawl up this brick.  We all started cheering it on because he was trying so hard.  Every time he slipped we got louder.  We were growing quite a crowd.  The little guy we called Buddy was straining his poor little neck and trying so hard to get closer to us.  I won't tell you what happens because Julie has it on video and you have to see this little guy work so hard.



At 11 Am they do a snake demonstration and the last snake they bring out and basically anger for about 10 min is the king cobra.  For many reasons I had to zoom on this picture so its not really clear.  And lets just make this known -  I HATE SNAKES  -  They freak me out and now I am scared all over again of India because I don't want to die by snake bite.  Oh please don't let me die by snake bite....


So after the park we went to check the next item off our list.  We are going to an Indian wedding for one of the House Mothers this next week in Walajabad and we needed some sarees to wear.  So we went to T Negar to go shopping.  We first went to this really nice shop that for me was a little too over whelming and basically i had no idea what I was doing and there was no one willing to help the lost little white girl.  So we went to another shop that was swarmed with people and when we walked in there was floor to ceiling stacks of sarees and there were more floors going up.  We had hit the mother load.  The only problem is now we had too many choices. So we went row to row and ended at the raw silk section.  Julie and i got ours there and I got another one.  I will show you then later when I go and get the tops made.  So you get the saree fabric and with it somes additional fabrick to have the shirt part made out of matching material.  So we have to go to the jumction to the tailor to have it made for us in the next week. 


After the sarees we went to the center of the street to wait for Anandan our driver.  While I waited I froggered myself across the other half of the street and got this sugarcane drink with limes. It was good but I needed a lot more lime in it for my taste. 

Then we were off to Sparky's Diner for some American food.  The promise of Mexican food and the glorious nachos could almost be tasted on the drive over.  When we finally got there our hopes were dashed.  DASHED!  Sparky's was closed.  CLOSED!  But no fear! Anandan to the rescue, he talked to a guy on the street and around the corner was another place that surved burgers and pizza and some mexican food. This place was awesome!!!!

For some reason we started talking about vampires... I really don't remember why.  So Anan decided to show us what vampires look like with straws.  It cam included with a song and dance.

Linner was awesome because I had a grilled chicken burrito with black beans and salsa!  It was AMAZING.  Almost as amazing as the sizzling chocolate fudge brownie we had for a snack earlier that morning.  Along with my burrito I had a vegetarian egg roll and a lime drink.


On the way home it started to rain.  Here is the ride home from my window seat...


Notice here it says "Don drink and Drive"  So if your name is Don...  drink and drive.  The next one says Safety First Speed Next.  They have other ones that are awesome like - Use Your Head, Wear A Helmet- Drinking Kills Driving Skills- Use Helmet, Avoid Death


Here is a lady on a bike with socks on her arms.  It doesn't look like socks... but they were.

I tried the whole way back to get a good shot of lightening and failed.  ipods aren't the best for that so I'll try again later.

In case you didn't know INDIA IS AWESOME!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment